The impression here is that if we are to live, to know truth and be “wise for salvation” then we should make the Bible a staple diet. Or, to use another metaphor, we should turn to our handbook regularly for direction and guidance and not just look it up when we have lost our way. Not that it is likely to be unhelpful then, anymore than fast food is not occasionally good to fall back on, but we are not going to get the best from it – or from ourselves.
So why is that?
“You shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48).
As perfect as God! That is impossible!
Not as impossible as it sounds. It is the aim of a lifetime although it will not be accomplished until the next (See what John says about this in his first letter, at the beginning of chapter 3). But God has not left us to it on our own. First he has sent his son, Jesus Christ to show us what he is like, and secondly we have the Bible’s record not just of his life but those of other men and women whose lives and thoughts are both examples and warnings to us. Reading scripture is the principal way we can find out what God is like and what he requires of us.
How can a young man [as this writer probably was] cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to your word…
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:9&11
- The very very beginning 2 The Word and words
- Necessity of a revelation of creation 13 Getting wisdom
- Challenging claim 3 Inspired by God 2 Inerrant Word of God
- Coming to understanding from sayings written long ago
- God doesn’t call the qualified
- Be happy that the thorn bush has roses
- Live …
- A heart in the right place and brightly burning faith
- A Living Faith #8 Change
- Feed Your Faith Daily
- Knowing where to go
- A person is limited only by the thoughts that he chooses
- How we think shows through in how we act
- Testify of the things heard
- Try driving forward instead of backwards
- Broken Woman? (ezerwoman.wordpress.com)
- 12-14-2015 No Bible Myths (fellowshiproom.org)
- Meaningless Is My Life Without The Love of God (bloggerneecy.com)
- The Inspired Word of God (heartfixxer.wordpress.com)