The Gospels are not the only place to find ‘the mind which was in Christ’’. The books of poetry and prophecy in the Old Testament often give us an insight into his attitude and thinking. David’s words in the Psalms are often seen as a foreshadowing of the actual thoughts and feelings of Christ in his own experiences a thousand years later. The opening words of Psalm 22,
are quoted by Christ himself as he was crucified, and the following verses describe his inner response to that awful event. For example:
I am poured out like water,
And all my bones are out of joint;
My heart is like wax,
It has melted within me. (Psalm 22:14)
Other passages are not so obviously related to Jesus but it has been suggested that Psalm 119, which mentioned before, can be read as his thoughts in the years the Gospels say nothing about, between the ages of 12 and 30.
How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed to your word.
With my whole heart I have sought you;
Oh, let me not wander from you commandments!
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O LORD!
Teach me your statutes. (Psalm 119:9-12)
Even if these are not the actual thoughts and prayers of Jesus himself they are certainly Christ-like. Almost every verse of this Psalm refers directly to the Scriptures, the “word”, “commandments” and “statutes” of God. It was on them that Jesus meditated and moulded his character. They were his guide to life.
Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path. (Psalm 119:105)
What better example could we have, what better mind to have in ourselves?
- Words to inspire and to give wisdom
- Necessary to be known all over the earth
- Background to look at things
- No prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation
- No other god besides Jehovah who gives all explanation
- Glory of only One God Who gives His Word
- Bible, sword of the Spirit to come into the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man
- Necessity of a revelation of creation 2 Organisation of a system of things
- Necessity of a revelation of creation 9 Searching the Scriptures
- Necessity of a revelation of creation 10 Instructions for insight and wisdom
- Necessity of a revelation of creation 12 Words assembled for wisdom and instruction
- Coming to understanding from sayings written long ago
- The Metaphorical language of the Bible
- True God giving His Word for getting wisdom
- Jehovah steep rock and fortress, source of insight
- Challenging claim 4 Inspired by God 3 Self-consistent Word of God
- Daily portion of heavenly food
- To find ways of Godly understanding
- An uncovering book to explore
- Genre – Playing by the Rules
- Wisdom not hard to find nor hiding in remote places
- Jewish and Christian traditions of elders
- Preacher James McConnell From Northern Ireland Jailed For Preaching Against Islam (nowtheendbegins.com)
- Jesus: Marked for Suffering (brentkuhlman.wordpress.com)
- Christ’s Kingdom. Advent Midweek 3, 2015 (deprofundisclamaviadtedomine.wordpress.com)
- “O” Antiphons (lionessblog.com)
- Scripture Verse Of Week ‘Luke 2 Verse 10’ (mylordmyfriend.com)
- “Let Courage Find Us.” 12.06.15 Advent Sermon (pastorcraig.org)
- Beyond the Manger (sarasmusings.wordpress.com)
- A Vatic Must Read: Book: Judaism’s Strange Gods (vaticproject.blogspot.com)