More than one month ago, Vladimir Putin did what he had said not going to do. This is yet another proof that one cannot rely on the words of a human being. One must always be very careful when things are denied or promised.
In today’s reading (Numbers 14) we also see how people easily become dissatisfied and even though they had it worse before, they still complain and want another head for their community and think that by electing a new leader everything will be solved for the better.
The past has shown many times that a people chose a particular leader, but that the leader was so keen on the power he had gained that he did not want to give it up and established a dictatorship.
Some believers think that as a Christian it is best not to speak out or vote when someone is to be elected as leader. It is an easy solution to always stand on the sidelines and let everything pass by. But then one may not complain afterwards that it has turned out wrong. And that it sometimes goes wrong, has been proven often enough.
We must realise that there are many people in the world who have withdrawn from the Word of God. As a result, they often do things that harm others.
Even those who claim to be Christians, but who do not really follow Christ and do not keep God’s commandments, will have to suffer, just as the people of God had to feel after their flight from Egypt.
“41 And Moses said, Wherefore now do ye transgress the commandment of Jehovah, seeing it shall not prosper? 42 Go not up, for Jehovah is not among you; that ye be not smitten down before your enemies. 43 For there the Amalekite and the Canaanite are before you, and ye shall fall by the sword: because ye are turned back from following Jehovah, therefore Jehovah will not be with you.” (Nu 14:41-43 ASV)
Even though people’s wrong choices will sometimes lead to conflict, it is up to the believer to stay on the right path and to trust in the One True God. Even though there will be much suffering all around, and even though we ourselves will not be spared, if we count on God we will not suffer the worst and not perish from starvation.
“2 Treasures of wickedness profit nothing; But righteousness delivereth from death. 3 Jehovah will not suffer the soul of the righteous to famish; But he thrusteth away the desire of the wicked.” (Pr 10:2-3 ASV)
During our lives, we must be very aware that it is important who we help to put in power or elect as leader or allow to have power. Because eventually, it will come to light where the real objectives of the leader are. And the unjust will not hesitate to use violence to confirm their power and increase their empire.
“6 Blessings are upon the head of the righteous; But violence covereth the mouth of the wicked. 7 The memory of the righteous is blessed; But the name of the wicked shall rot. 8 The wise in heart will receive commandments; But a prating fool shall fall. 9 He that walketh uprightly walketh surely; But he that perverteth his ways shall be known. 10 He that winketh with the eye causeth sorrow; But a prating fool shall fall. 11 The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life; But violence covereth the mouth of the wicked. 12 Hatred stirreth up strifes; But love covereth all transgressions. 13 In the lips of him that hath discernment wisdom is found; But a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding.” (Pr 10:6-13 ASV)
Many people today are outraged and confused. Even less than their heads of government, they really know what to do in order not to let so many difficulties come over them. The citizens, however, are the playthings of those they have elected. And the heads of government of many countries see the possible danger, but often do not know very well how to get out of it.
Perplexity among the nations today is remarkable. The USA has to some degree lost its power and influence, whilst Russia and China wish to demonstrate their power. In Luke 21 Jesus said that his return to the earth would be at a time of
“distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves” (verse 25).
The threat of physically roaring seas, such as tsunamis, causes great anxiety. The earthquakes and tsunamis in the Pacific region have caused serious problems, and these continue. Warning systems are in place, but these will not stop the seas roaring – only give a few minutes warning.
We can see, however, that the words of Jesus reflect Old Testament passages and indicate even greater distresses are to come. Look at the language in Psalm 46,
“we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though the waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling … the nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts … Come, behold the works of the LORD, how he has wrought desolations on the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth …” (verses 2,3,6,8,9).
As believers, we must be sober, but we must also be aware of possible signs that we, as human beings, can observe. We will not be able to ignore what is planned for mankind. Let us therefore listen to the words of Jesus, who said:
“10 … Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; 11 and there shall be great earthquakes, and in divers places famines and pestilences; and there shall be terrors and great signs from heaven. 12 But before all these things, they shall lay their hands on you, and shall persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, bringing you before kings and governors for my name’s sake. 13 It shall turn out unto you for a testimony.” (Lu 21:10-13 ASV)
“And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake.” (Lu 21:17 ASV)
“25 And there shall be signs in sun and moon and stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, in perplexity for the roaring of the sea and the billows; 26 men fainting for fear, and for expectation of the things which are coming on the world: for the powers of the heavens shall be shaken. 27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 But when these things begin to come to pass, look up, and lift up your heads; because your redemption draweth nigh.” (Lu 21:25-28 ASV)
Even though there may be a lot of confusion these days, let there be no confusion in your mind, but a resolute choice for the only good solution. Keep trusting in God and continue to proclaim the Good News with full conviction.
Dutch version / Nederlandstalige versie: Verwarring onder de naties
Today’s thought “Rooted and built up in him” (November 14)
- Newsweek asks: How ignorant are you? (Our World) = Newsweek asks: How ignorant are you? (Some View on the World)
- Reacting to Disasters
- Increase Earthquakes
- We are ourselves responsible
- Certainty in a troubled world
- Turkey: A dictatorship by any other name
- Are United States of America citizens going to show their senses
- Donald Trump his America
- 2019 was #4 a Year of much deceit in Belgium and the rest of Europe
- Random Thoughts 3/15/2022 by Ray Barbier and Marcus Ampe
- Putin Has Fallen Into The ‘Dictator Trap’, Says Professor
- The written, the spoken, and the audible a part of the soul and a blessing to humanity but also the trigger to those who love Crusades and the Inquisition
- Objective views and not closing eyes for certain sayings
- Blinded crying blue murder having being made afraid by a bugaboo
- Freedom for whom?
- Do You Want to Believe?
- Running the battle
- Now if you are going to win any battle you have to make the mind run the body
- Demanding signs or denying yourself
- Left in the dark or being in the dark seeing light
- The Sign of the Son of Man
- Matthew 16:1-4 – The Nazarene’s Commentary: The Signs of the Times
- Matthew 24 about temples or Houses of God and the end of the age
- Matthew 24:4-8 – The Nazarene’s Commentary: The Answer: Part One – Beware Being Misled
- Terror threat rising since Afghan exit, warns MI5
- Signs of the Last Days
- Signs of the Times – War and anti-Semitism
- The Coining of the Lord Draweth Nigh
- Your struggles develop your strengths
- Making the time ready for Jesus to return
- Separation of local judgment regarding 70 CE from the global ultimate-coming prophecies of the Second Coming and Final Judgment
- Messages leading to an earthly utopia
- Only once and with consequences
- Can we stop pretending that every person who helps Ukrainian refugees is moral?
- War is Never the Answer
- Putin is planning for a large scale war across Europe. Putin is expecting China to soon wage a similar war – and that could occur anytime
- Putin Blinks First?
- Poll: Will China Attack Taiwan?
- Indian wheat to poise as a gamechanger globally
- Podcast Episode #102 – Dexter White and Does Stage 2 in Ukraine Lead to WWIII???
- Arirang News — Yemen’s Houthi Rebels Launch Attacks — On Saudi Arabia’s Oil Giant ‘Aramco’
- Prophesied end-times signs
- Signs of Jesus second coming
- Famines and pestilences in the end-times
- Be prepared – last-days spiritual warfare is intense
- Wars and rumours of wars in the end-times
- More on wars and rumours of wars
- A Great Storm Coming Over the World
- The Love of Many will Grow Cold
- Looking after your mental health amid distressing world eventsFind Strength in God
- *Verse of the Day Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
- God is Your Confidence
2 thoughts on “Perplexity among the nations”
[…] Perplexity among the nations […]
[…] Perplexity among the nations […]