(With thanks to Brother Roger Long)
As Russia’s war in Ukraine continues, with appalling suffering being inflicted on the people of that state, the western world has imposed major sanctions on Moscow, sanctions that will inevitably have an impact on life in many nations – such is the nature of our interconnected world.
A recent article in the Daily Telegraph, by Rachel Millard, had the arresting headline,
“War risks unrest in Middle East as bread prices soar” (March 7).
It notes that
“Wheat prices have climbed 25pc since the invasion on February 24 and are likely to escalate further … Russia and Ukraine together account for about 14pc of global wheat production and about 14pc of global corn production … BCA Research, the global macro-research firm, says foodstuffs are not flowing from the Black Sea region, threatening exports for which the Middle East is a key market”. This could provoke civil unrest in the region, and the situation is likely to get worse: if the war continues, farmers in Ukraine will be unable to plant and harvest this year.
The Lord Jesus said that prior to his return there would be “distress of nations, with perplexity” – surely that is what we are now witnessing.
- Looking at a “Man from the North” endangering the world
- Cold War over and back again to bring a war in Ukraine as the end of the liberal world order
- USSR – USA – Cold-, Hot Wars and memorandi
- The one who claimed he was not planning an invasion in Ukraine
- Last week: It became a fact: Russia invades Ukraine
- Key Facts About Ukraine and the Russian invasion
- The biggest ground offensive in Europe since World War II
- Despicable actions that endanger entire regions and historical monuments in addition to citizens
- Restrictions in Russia because of sanctions from the West for peace mission in Ukraine.
- Trade surpluses vs Most sweeping set of sanctions ever aimed at a country since World War 2
- Will the Russian War in Ukraine reset World diplomacy?
- Beware the Ides of March
- How sanctions can affect Russia and help world’s economies
- West’s response to Russian invasion demolishes excuses for rejecting BDS against Apartheid Israel
- P&H: Could sanctions ultimately work in Putin’s favor?Volodymyr Zelenskyy called on Congress to pressure all US companies to leave Russia
- Zelenskyy to Congress: ‘No sense in life if it cannot stop the deaths’
- Why the war in Ukraine is also a make-or-break moment for climate change
- A New Round Of Russian Sanctions
- Not only a Pariah, but also…
- My DW live: Germany & EU can cut Russian oil now: West has strategic reserves; USA, UAE & Saudi ouputs will rise; Russia will reroute sales at big discounts to India & China. Price would spike, then sink on oversupply & Putin’s revenues crash
- Putin’s chilling warning to the West and oligarchs: Ranting president tells ‘scum’ traitors Russians will ‘spit them out like a midge that flew into their mouths’ and says Western ‘attempt to have global dominance’ is coming to an end
- Insights from Windward Maritime AI. Will sanctions on Russian crude oil put enough pressure on Russia?
- Barbarism begins at home