The last few weeks we have looked at some major points of belief and key-points for a Christian faith.
Yesterday we looked at the realities of life and death where we all are confronted with.
Having spoken about coming times and the possibility of entering a Kingdom of God, we look today at a great misunderstanding by many christians. Lots of them think they go straight to heaven when they die. But would this thought be according to the Bible, the infallible Word of God?
Lots of people have different ideas about where we go when we die. Let us look for the key elements given in the Holy Scriptures.
Man is mortal.
“God formed man of the dust of the ground” (Genesis 2:7)
“The first man is of the earth, earthy” (1 Corinthians 15:47)
“I (Abraham) am but dust and ashes” (Genesis 18:27)
“He knows our frame: he remembers that we are dust” (Psalm 103:14).
“Dust thou art and unto dust shalt thou return” (Genesis 3:19).
“God gives to all life, and breath, and all things” (Acts 17:25).
“In his hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind” (Job 12:10).
“If he gather unto himself his spirit and his breath, all flesh shall perish together and man shall turn again unto dust” (Job 34:14-15).
“For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals … they all have one breath” (Eccles 3:19 NKJV)
“The spirit (at death) shall return to God who gave it” (Eccles 12:7).
Man and heaven
The Bible testifies that no man has ever gone to heaven.
“No man has ascended up to heaven” (John 3:13).
“David is not ascended into the heavens” (Acts 2:34).
“The heaven, even the heavens, are the Lord’s, but the earth hath he given to the children of men” (Psalm 115:16).
Reward for the dead
The Bible teaches that the dead have not yet been rewarded.
“These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off and were persuaded of them and embraced them” (Hebrews 11:13).
When the seventh angel sounds,
“Thy wrath is come and the time of the dead that they should be judged and that thou should give reward unto thy servants the prophets” (Revelation 11:15-18)
Can dead people see us, think and feel?
The Bible teaches that the dead are completely unconscious.
“The dead know not anything … their love, their hatred and their envy is now perished.” (Eccles 9:5).
“In death there is no remembrance of thee; in the grave, who shall give thee thanks?” (Psalm 6:5).
“The dead praise not the Lord, neither any that go down into silence” (Psalm 115:17).
“The grave cannot praise thee: death cannot celebrate thee” (Isaiah 38:18).
Judgement by Christ
In case people after they die go straight into heaven or into purgatory or in hell, why and who shall Jesus have to judge at the end of times?
The Bible teaches that the dead will be judged and rewarded at the resurrection when Christ comes again to the earth.
“Thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just” (Luke 14:14).
“The Son of Man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels: and then shall he reward every man according to his works” (Matthew 16:27).
The Lord Jesus Christ
“shall judge the living and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom” (2 Timothy 4:1).
Jesus says the hour is coming when those that are in the graves
“shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and that they have done evil, unto the resurrection of condemnation” (John 5:29; Daniel 12:2).
Reward of immortality and inheritance the earth
The righteous will be rewarded with immortality and inherit the earth.
“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth” (Matthew 5:5).
“Such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth” (Psalm 37:22).
“Those that wait upon the Lord shall inherit the earth” (verse 9).
“The righteous shall be recompensed in the earth” (Proverbs 11:31).
“I shall give thee (that is, the Son of God, see v7) … the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession” (Psalm 2:8).
“We shall reign upon the earth” (Revelation 5:10).
Realities concerning Human Life and Death
Is there life beyond the grave?
- Is God behind all suffering here on earth
- I Can’t Believe That (1) … God would send anyone to hell
- Being Religious and Spiritual 5 Gnostic influences
- Separation from God in death, the antithesis of life
- What happens when we die?
- Are we taken up into heaven straight after we die?
- Grave, tomb, sepulchre – graf, begraafplaats, rustplaats, sepulcrum
- How are the dead?
- Is there an Immortal soul
- Concerning the Spiritual Body
- Darkness, light, burning fire, Truth and people in it
- Where does Satan lives?
- All Souls’ Day
- Halloween custom of the nations
- October month of witches and spirits
- Autumn traditions for 2014 – 2 Summersend and mansend
- Autumn traditions for 2014 – 4 Blasphemy and ridiculing faith in God
- Destination of the earth
- Destination of righteous
- Evil in the Bible
- Fallen angels
- God’s design in the creation of the world
- God’s reward
- God’s promises
- God’s promises to us in our suffering
- God’s hope and our hope
- God’s salvation
- Heaven and hell still high on the believers list showing a religion gender gap
- Hope for the future
- Human nature
- Life with God
- Our way of life
- Rapture exposed
- Rapture meaning
- Rapture exposed Admittance with Christ
- Rapture exposed Gathering with Jesus
- Rapture exposed Rapture in clouds
- Satan or the devil
- Surprised by time in joys & sufferings
- True hope
- We are redeemed; we are “bought with a price”
- A fact of History or just a fancy Story
- God’s wrath and sanctification
- Jewish and Christian traditions of elders
- Nazarene Commentary Matthew 5:21-26 – 1. The Nazarene’s Commentary on Exodus 20:13  Gehenna
What others think about the living soul, the dead, purgatory and hell
- Genesis 1:24-25 and Its Inner Meaning
- >My Soul Is Me
- Free Will and the Passion of Christ
- I’ve never known a dead person
- Deceased Loved Ones: The Basics
- I don’t see dead people
- Psychic Furture
- On the trail of the paranormal
- What I’ve Learned From Spirits…thus far: My Adventures in Mediumship
- Can Seeds in A Dead Person’s Stomach Really Sprout into Trees?
- Published! Dead People
- Exploring Shadows
- God Squad: What do we look like in heaven? | Newsday (with comment)
- Pray for Our People
- After you…
- Devotion to the holy souls
- Purgatory (pûrg´ətôr´ē) [Lat.,=place of purging], in the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, the state after death in which the soul destined for heaven is purified
- Purgatory a place for moral and spiritual purification
- What the Church Teaches about Purgatory
- The subject of “Purgatory”
- The Sufferings of Purgatory
- The Pain of Sense in Purgatory.
- AIDS as a Vision of Purgatory
- The Duration of Purgatory
- Chapter 39-Death and the Soul’s Immortality
- Why We Should Always Remember the Souls in Purgatory
- St. Lidwina of Schiedam’s Visions of Purgatory
- Where is the great Beyond?
- Apostle Shuffle concluded beginning
- >This is the Sound of a Lost Soul
- Relief of the Souls in Purgatory
- Torments Our Hearts
- The Twenty-Fourth Sunday after Pentecost.—The Last Judgment.
- The Last Things
- Our association with heaven is while we are alive [936c]
- Purgatory 4
- Is Halloween a Christian holiday?
- Factoid About Halloween
- Celebrating Life by Mocking Death? Or, Why I Think Dia de los Muertos is Awesome
- All Saints Day
- All Saints’ Day, Holy Day of Obligation
- How to get to heaven – what are the ideas from the different religions?
- On Books Again And Purgatory
- Are Dead People Voyeurs?
- Gatekeeper of the Dead
- A.D. – After Death
- A Celebration in Hell
- The Reckoning
- St. Thomas Aquinas weighs in on Hell
- Considering Eternity
- Statements of Faith – Part 1: Beware the fires of Hell.
- Chinese Evangelist who died and resurrected says he saw many Africans collecting firewood in hell
- Does wearing Makeup and earrings make me go to hell?
- Where Would I Be
- Seasoning Your Reasoning
- Gateways To Hell: Writing Prompt
- If You’re Not Scared, You’re Not Thinking Hard Enough
- Hebrews 10:26-27
- Of Hellfire and Garden Parties
- Fire and Brimstone
- Fire & Brimstone, Part 2.
- God Doesn’t Burn Anyone Alive
- Hell doesn’t exist – Pope Francis
- Avoid these seven sins that doom a person to Hell
- Revelation 21:8 (Daily Bread)