What the apostle taught to the “Early Christians”
The apostles taught that the Bible is divinely inspired
“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16).
“God, who at many times and in many ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son” (Hebrews 1:1-2).
“Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:20-21).
The apostles taught that men would depart from the truth of the Bible
“For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them” (Acts 20:29-30).
“But the Spirit expressly says that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and teachings of demons” (1 Timothy 4:1).
“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables” (2 Timothy 4:3-4).
Holding fast to the Truth
We must hold fast to the truth of the apostles’ teaching
“According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise master builder, I have laid the foundation, and another builds thereon. But let every man take heed how he builds thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 3:10-11).
”The name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead … there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved” (Acts 4:10,12).
Jesus and his apostles worshipped only One God
Jesus Christ and his apostles taught that there is One God
”This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent” (John 17:3).
“To us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him” (1 Corinthians 8:6).
“For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” (1 Timothy 2:5).
The God of Jeshua or the God Father and Lord of Jesus the anointed one
The Father is the God of Jesus
“ Jesus said to her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God” (John 20:17).
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in
Christ” (Ephesians 1:3).
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy has begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead” (1 Peter 1:3).
“You men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you” (Acts 2:22).
“How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him” (Acts 10:38).
The Holy Spirit
”The angel answered and said to her, The Holy Spirit shall come on you, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow you.
Therefore also that Holy One which will be born of you shall be called Son of God” (Luke 1:35).
“It looks therefore as though the writer of the Creed did not conceive the Holy Spirit as a Person, but as a Power and Gift.
This is indeed literally the case. No proof can be shown that about the middle of the second century the Holy Spirit was believed in as a Person. This conception, on the contrary, is one of much later date, which was still unknown to most Christians by the middle of the fourth century.”
“It must be admitted by everyone who has the rudiments of an historical sense that the doctrine of the Trinity, as a doctrine, formed no part of the original message. St. Paul knew it not, and would have been unable to understand the meaning of the terms used in the theological formula on which the Church ultimately agreed.” (God in Christian Thought and Experience, page 180).
Dr J S Whale wrote,
“The result (of controversy) was the doctrine of the Trinity, slowly worked out and formulated during the fourth century. Christian thought, working with the data of the New Testament and using Greek philosophy as its instrument, constructed the doctrine of Trinity in Unity.” (Christian Doctrine, page 116).
Neander, the Church historian, wrote,
“This doctrine does not, it appears to me, belong strictly to the fundamental articles of the Christian faith; as appears from the fact that it is explicitly set forth in no one particular passage of the New Testament; for the only one in which this is done, the passage relating to the three that bear record (1 John 5) is undoubtedly spurious.” (History of Christian Religion, volume 2, page 286)
(See God’s Way by John Carter for more information)
- Are there certain books essential to come to faith
- Bible, best Book of books to get to know the truth
- Backbone book
- Plain necessary food of the gospelWritten to whom it is about to be reckoned
- A collection of holy writings to show God and His Works
- No prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation
- Written down in God’s Name
- The Bible & us
- One not without the other
- The Bible as a tool showing the way to God
- Recommended articles about the Book of books the BibleHuman & Biblical teachings
- The gods or mighty ones
- Only one God
- God is one
- God of gods
- The Divine name of the Creator
- A remaining name
- Hashem השם, Hebrew for “the Name”
- God about his Name יהוה
- Attributes to God
- I am that I am Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh אהיה אשר אהיה
- No other god besides Jehovah Who gives all explanation
- For Jehovah is greatly to be praised
- The Trinity matter
- Behind a False doctrine – the Trinity
- The trinity – the truth
- The Biblical contradiction of the Trinity creed
- How did the Trinity Doctrine Develop
- Trinity – History
- Christ Versus the Trinity
- Jehovah, the Adonai, Elohim God of gods our stronghold
- Jesus & God
- Full authority belongs to God
- Relationship with God The One behind your being
- God’s salvation
- A way to look for Christ, the Bible, Word of God
- The Way to God and the Cornerstone for God’s Church
- Do you believe in One God?
- Concerning gospelfaith
- Focussing on oneness with Jesus like Jesus is one with God
- A world in denial
- Our relationship with God, Jesus and eachother
- Observing the commandments and becoming doers of the Word
- God’s word…is a comfort to the one who yields to God’s will
- Commit your self to the trustworthy creator
- Man’s plans prevailed by God’s purpose
- Truth & doubt >Living with doubts choosing for the Biblical Truth
- Getting to know the Truth
- The truth is very plain to see and God can be clearly seen
- Determined To Stick With Truth.
- Pursuits in life
- Unarmed truth and unconditional love
- Looking for Jesus
- Looking for the way to God
- Believe in Jesus
- Lessons in life
- When there is a God is it possible to relate to Him
- When there is a relationship with God there is a possibility to grow
- Our & Your Aims
- About Relating to God and the Christadelphians
- Do Christadelphians belong to Protestantism
- Who are the Christadelphians
- What are Brothers in Christ
- The Faith you should find: Our Faith and Beliefs
- What Christadelphians believe
- Credo of the Christadelphian
- What and why ecclesia
- Do you really know what you say you believe in?
- The God of Jesus!
- Does God require theology, or does man?
- The counsel of great bible thinkers?
- Studying Early Christian Theology
- The apostle Paul The Work Awaiting the WorkerThe Apostle Paul’s Gospel
- The Apostle Paul’s Writings and His Character
- Sect of “The Way”, “The Nazarenes” & “Christians” : Names given to the Early Church
- The Earliest Christian Traditions
- Early Christian Theology and Greek Thought
- The Great Apostasy Began in First Century Christianity
- Delores Cannon: Jesus and the Essenes
- Essenes and Early Christians
- The Reading Culture of Early Christianity and Their View of the Integrity of the Greek New Testament
- “Resurrection Cults,” and Early “Material Traces” of Christianity”?
- Christianity Through Roman Eyes: What Does a Pagan Roman Letter from 111 A.D. Tell Us About Early Christians?
- First-Century Christians to the End of the Earth
- This is how Christians lived in the 2nd century –Aleteia
- “Triumph” and “Distinctiveness” of Early Christianity
- Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Chapter 15
- Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Chapter 16
- Born of God
- Bible was completed before the doctrine of trinity ever existed.
- Some thoughts on the early history of the Trinity
- Historical Roots of “Trinitarian” Theology
- God, Jesus and the Trinity
- Christ without Theology!
- Trilemma (Liar, Lunatic, or Lord?)
- Presentation: A Brief History of the Trinitarian Dogma and its Consequences for Christian Theology
- Two Mistakes of Early Christianity
- Jesus and God(the term God not just Father) are shown over and over again as two different beings.
- Jesus Worship
- The God of Jesus discussion.
- Book Review of “Christianity at the Crossroads.”
- World Architecture: Early Christianity and Constantinople -A City of Christianity
- The Conflict that lives on.
- Acts 6
- “But who do you say that I am?”
- The Disciples Were First Called Christians
- True Treasure
- My second sigh
- Let try having Faith enough to let it Go!
- Christ already opened the door…Not man!
- Choosing the light
- When you want to be more like the FIRST followers of THE WAY…..
- The Sign of the Cross, is it Biblical?
- Review: Ehrman’s Triumph of Christianity
- Theology and traditions don’t determine your Salvation.
- I am a Christ follower who has a God named Yahweh!
- I’m a Christian follower…period!
- What are you truly fighting against?
- If Christ has a God and answers to a God then that God is the only true God. Why do we seek to avoid this Fact?
- Christendom vs Christ followers, there is a vast difference!
- Are they pushing God or thier denomination? There is a difference!
- Every Christian faith foundation or belief can be reasoned in the Bible by those who want to believe it.
- Cognitive Dissonance is rapid in people about Truth in Scripture
- Inconsequential belief judgements of the Churches