When belonging to a small faith community the faith may not be small but has to be big to stay walking forwards and not to get crushed by the temptations of bigger churches.
To get more people into the small church we have to have an open attitude welcoming those who are searching and who are not yet sure. Often what brings them to look for God and for a church is something serious that happened and changed their life. What motivates people to come to church is: death in the family, followed by illness, followed by interpersonal problems (such as marital problems, etc.).
Thus, you can see that when people come to our churches they are looking for a more intimate environment than 25-35 people to share their needs.
Smaller churches must be pleased that they may offer such intimacy and that they can bring Spring in the life of those who are willing to escape the feeling of Autumn or Winter in their hearts.
- little church > not worry > at peace with nature
- life of reaper + sower;
- wake to a perfect patience of mountains
- not sorry when silence becomes singing
- standing erect in the deathless truth of His presence
- Florida Church Defiled With “Allah Akbar” Graffiti… (weaselzippers.us)
- Over one million invited ‘back to church’ (christiantoday.com)
- Church bell ringing again in Hallam (columbustelegram.com)
- The Church Is Changing. Are You Ready? (from “Freed Hearts”) (news.queerchurch.com)
- Still Speaking (discoveringandsharinggrace.com)
- Florida Church Defiled With “Allah Akbar” Graffiti, Set Ablaze (downtrend.com)
- A Church of All Sorts (hillsbiblechurch.org)
- A Church Planting Testimony (gentlereformation.com)
- One church closes, another one starts in Elgin (dailyherald.com)
- Unity important for community (fijitimes.com)
I am extremely grateful for a friend who shared this poem by ee cummings with me. I hope it is OK to reproduce it here. It is something I shall be living out of for a while. It makes me ask questions; I am not sure I agree with it all; but is is profoundly important to those of us who are part of small churches and inhabit their joys and sorrows, and have inklings that they are close to the Gospel and the Kingdom and the heart of God; that they have much to teach the wider Church. If you don’t own books of ee cummings poetry, go and buy one if you can. It will help you be alive.
I am a little church(no great cathedral)
far from the splendor and squalor of hurrying cities
–i do not worry if briefer days grow briefest,
i am not sorry when…
View original post 140 more words