In the coming days we shall look at the way how we can look at things and how we have to be conscious about those things we see around us and how they fit into the Plan of the Creator. We shall look at that what many in this world do not see any more and are not hearing any more.
The coming days we shall give attention in our ecclesia to the Words God gave to the world to find Him, to know what He wants from us, and how He gives us the opportunity to make the best out of our life.
“… fully set to do evil”
(Thought for the Bible readings of April 29 and the coming talks in the ecclesia)
“the heart … of man is fully set to do evil …”
“sentence against an evil deed is not executed speedily” (8:11).
It made us think of the protracted system of so-called justice today in this country. As each year passes the hearts of humans are more and more focussed on self-centred ways of living with any thought of there being a God vanishing out of their minds.
How true it now is that
“man’s trouble lies heavy upon him” (verse 6)
– and it’s going to get heavier. Written near the end of his life, Solomon appears to be in a depressed, but totally honest, state of mind. Despite all his wise sayings and wisdom in ruling, the nation is not in a good state – and disaster will soon follow after his death. How does this compare with today – as genuine study and belief in the Bible is nearly dead?
There are some comparisons of thought with the history lesson Stephen gave the religious leaders in Jerusalem after they arrested him. We read this today in Acts 7and saw how they totally missed his point – and stoned him to death. His lesson was about the actions of God in interfering at different times in past events in Israel – so as to bring about his purpose. The hearts of his hearers had been “fully set to do evil” – and so they crucified their Messiah – and now they stone Stephen to death.
Now consider how God always acts to bring good out of human evil! Think of the events that followed. Even more, we need to think of our own troubled times, evil, godless times. We are on the threshold of God’s ultimate dramatic act – to deal with evil – and shock a world that is more “fully set to do evil” than ever before. How blind our world has become – few consider the possibility that there is a God, especially a God who sees all and knows all.
We have no Apostles to challenge us – only Bibles – but most of these are simply gathering dust! Does yours? There is no point in reading them – unless they provoke us to action to set our feet on the narrow way – for, said Jesus,
“the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction …” (Matthew 6:13)
– and the time of destruction appears to be fearfully close.
– The Christadelphian
Preceding article: This was my reward
Look out for coming articles:
Bible, god’s Word to edify
Written down in God’s Name
God’s sayings notated
- Epicurus’ Problem of Evil
- Wisdom not hard to find nor hiding in remote places
- Consider your own journey in life
- God’s wrath and sanctification
- God wants to be gracious to you
- God receives us on the basis of our faith
- God plays hide-n-seek?
- God does not change
- Act as if everything you think, say and do determines your entire life
- Growth in character
- Look with your eyes. See with your heart!
- On the Edge of Believing